To say that the world is weird is like saying fire is hot. It’s almost the same thing. Lest we throw humans under the bus, let us hark back to Mother Nature. We are her children and we are apples not far fallen from that same whacky tree.
Love is as natural as breathing. It is as strange and beautiful as we. Here are ten things I find peculiar about our love affair with love.
1. Despite the media’s and Hollywood’s attempts to show us beauty through airbrushed images and stars who dubbed freakishly perfect, we love whom we love. Biology wins and flying your freak flag isn’t going to keep you from procreating. Enjoy!
2. It is simultaneously true that opposites attract and we seek companionship with those whose strengths compliment our own. Mr Dreamboat and I are no exception to the dichotomy. We are the same, we are so very different.
3. We are attracted to people for a variety of reasons and science is going to have a hell of a time trying to explain it all. But we are human. We don’t need explanations, we simply need love.
4. The smallest human beings attract the largest amount of love. I’m sure this has to do with our need to live forever through our progeny. Even so, it feels magical and cozy to hug a baby, make a toddler giggle and know that in this way, we will live on through eternity.
5. Sometimes love tastes like a smooshed peanut butter and jelly sandwich after a hard hike. I weep.
6. The Giving Tree, by Shel Silverstein is the dumbest book about love that was ever written. Pisses me off every time I read it.
7. No matter the final outcome of a relationship, love does not go away. It simply takes on different forms. It is that difference that makes us mourn, but love, which is always true, never dies.
8. Sometimes loving someone means doing the thing that person least wants you to do. This is when love sucks. When it is not your most comfortable option.
9. Once I thought I loved a cinnamon roll but then it was gone…
10. Love is patient and kind and all of those things, and sometimes love feels lonely and harsh. But perhaps because it is the greatest cause in life, it was meant to be that way; teacher, mother, lover friend, the ultimate mechanism by which to grow.
Like, share, comment, tweet and love yourself first so you know how to love others.