I am no movie connoisseur. I actually had a difficult time spelling it, connoisseur, not movie. I once texted my nephew, who is actually a movie critic, during a showing of Paul Blart: Mall Cop. Though it wasn’t my choice of movie, it was a sacrifice for the family, I felt a certain coolness from him for some time afterward. I can’t really blame him.
Movies are an essential part of our lives here at the YFR&ZAR. From the darker offerings to those of hope and redemption, it is not uncommon for us to share a cinematic delicacy together. Here are ten I find particularly diverting
- Every single one of the Harry Potter movies. If someone from our household finds one playing on TV, all other options are tossed. Thus my fondness for the acronym, WWDD… What would Dumbledore do? Harry Potter makes me feel magical and brave.
- The Family Stone. We watch it at Christmas and find a lot of similarities in our family. I have asked repeatedly if I am as mean as the mom and if I have to die for it to be authentic. My children assure me that this would be not as much fun. It makes me feel homey and real.
- Groundhog Day. Who doesn’t love to see Bill Murray redeemed? I love to see Bill Murray redeemed.
- The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty pleased me. It’s soundtrack was excellent. It made me feel hope.
- Grosse Pointe Blank may be the best movie of them all. Not only is it quotable but it’s laugh out loud when you’re alone, funny. Makes me feel pleased. Pleased that there’s killer dialog out there.
- Kill Bill and Kill Bill II. This is not for the squeemish… or those who don’t dig swearing. This movie is so over-the-top and full of comic book awesome. It’s a Terantino flick… I think you know what I’m sayin’. Makes me feel powerful.
- Pride and Prejudice is romantic and beautiful and everything good. I love this movie. I love this movie. I love this movie. Makes me want to kiss Mr Dreamboat.
- Recent movies please me so much. Both Chef and 100 Foot Journey. They’re about food, they’re about goodness, they’re about happiness. They make me feel like I should eat something with umami in it.
- All three of the Bourne movies. Because he is awesome, and because we all feel a little disoriented sometimes. Makes me feel like if I had no other ties, I too could be an assassin. Wait, did I just say that out loud?
- Shrek. Because we all feel a little green and smelly from time to time.
Like it, share it, comment about your “go to” flicks and tweet. Because we are cinematic goers.