A Sunday afternoon nap is a thing crafted by the gods and delivered on the wings of shimmering, blankie bearing angels. Monday morning wake-ups are made of tougher stuff and delivered without fanfare, never ushered in, but dropped on our doorstep like an unwanted orphan.
Regardless of the delivery, they are both realities. I needn’t advise you on what to do with that long-gone-nap-heaven, but I can help you with the grit that can be your Monday morning. Here, for you, I deliver ten things:
1. Doesn’t matter how quickly I jump out of bed, it takes me a good deal of time to “arise and embrace the day!,” unless, that is, I workout. I know, I know. It’s Monday AND I’m telling you to sweat. We’ll keep it simple if this is not your gig. Do some sun salutations, participate in some blood pumping jumping jacks or go all out and do a Beach Body workout. Quit whining and just do it. No one ever regrets working out. Never.
2. Put a bottle of water on the side of your bed and before you do anything else, drink that room temp, hydration down. Thirsty is never happy. We’re trying to get our happy on here. It’s the simple things that are magic and water is magic. Drink up.
3. Look, this is not a health blog and so I feel no shame in offering you caffeine. As I’ve mentioned, the hemp milk latte is made of the blood of the war gods. Learn it, know it, live it. You won’t be sorry.
4. Join me and Brian Tracy, say it like you mean it, say it loud as you throw yourself out of bed, “I feel terrrrrrrriffffffic!” You can mean it later.
5. Monday’s can be daunting so you want to look your best. Choose your favorite clothes to meet the day. It’s little, but it’ll help you throw those shoulders back and yell, “Come and get me, Monday! I knew you were coming, it’s why I put on my dancin’ shoes.”.
6. Plan a little something to look forward to. We never look forward to having to get out of bed, unless we have something awesome on the agenda. No one ever dawdles on their way to Disneyland. While Disney may not be on the program this Monday morning, there’s always room for delight and planning something for yourself today will take the edge off.
7. Ignore the email, Facebook or texting for just a little while. Make it an hour. At least. Wake up and spend a bit of time with yourself before you invite the entire world in. The better you know how you’re feeling as you go into the day, the better you can choose what to put into your day.
8. Eat protein. Like some eggs. At least eat some sort of breakfast. Don’t be like a moody sixteen year old skulking out the door with a “you don’t understand me” attitude on your shoulder. Fuel up and the world will thank you.
9. It’s never an option I start out with, but if the day is just too much, you’ve been running on empty for too long, perhaps it’s time to opt out of Monday. Close the curtains, make some popcorn and watch a BBC series marathon on Netflix. I suggest The Paradise. And no, this is not a good idea if you did it last week or even the week before. But every once in a while the world will keep spinning without you. Mental health day!
10. We each have our morning rituals that get us started and signal the beginning of the adventures before us. Taking a few minutes of meditation and contemplation, quiet time with you and your own version of God, perhaps it’s the only recommendation one needs. Breathe in, feel the energy surrounding you and know that regardless of the weather, it’s gonna be a bright, bright sun-shiny day.
Like, share, comment, tweet and seize this day as if it were the only thing you have, because it is.