As I write this the day dawns dark and rainy and Mr Dreamboat has been away for a full week. He will not return any time soon.
In the Northwest there are times it seems the sun is on vacation far, far away and we are left with an ill-suited substitute illumination. No one ever likes the substitute.
Adding insult to poorly clarified injury, on top of all of that I have a head cold. Or it’s allergies. Whichever it is, I suffer. Granted, I suffer ever-so-slightly, bordering on no suffering at all, but it is my opinion that once one crosses the suffering threshold, there is no reason to judge the severity of it. Suffering is simply suffering. Or at least it is mildly irritating.
Because I am not one to burden others with my pain, I offer you ten things. Ten nice, sweet, happy, non-suffering things:
1. I love giving dogs treats. I like how their tales wag and they don’t worry about savoring anything, they just gulp it down in unrestrained pleasure. We should try that more often.
2. Yellow daisies are so happy. I have never met a daisy that was anything less than downright cheerful. Would that I could be a daisy in humanity. I fear I am a dandelion. At least they can be cute too…
3. The perfect bite in the middle of a hamburger. You know the one. It has all the best condiments, there’s a perfect bun/beef ratio. Savoring encouraged.
4. Netflix. After a day out and about in the rain yesterday, I laid down on my couch and I unabashedly gulped down old episodes of Gilmore Girls. No apologies.
5. Compliments make me smile. I was at a dinner party the other night when a woman compared me to a “young and beautiful version of Liza Minnelli.” I like compliments, so that is what I will assume it was.
6. I like lattes. Hemp milk lattes. They are frothy and nutty and make me feel ever so slightly like a character from Portlandia. Probably one who resembles a young Liza Minnelli.
7. It’s sort of silly, but I like to give to the charities at the grocery store. I like saying “Yes!” to people who get too many “no’s” and I like a surprise opportunity to do just a little good in the world, even if it’s just 3 dollars at a time.
8. Inside jokes are happy. Vague references to obscure events in the past make me feel grounded and connected to the people I love.
9. Surprises, the good kind. I like surprise visits and activities. I like opening up the mailbox and finding something from the people in my life.
10. I like writing this blog post and thinking about the people that read it. I like to think about the people I know and those I wish I could know. I like thinking about you.
May your days be merry and bright and may you find at least ten things that make you smile today. I know I’m going to be looking for mine.
Like, share, comment, tweet and scratch an itch and give in to a craving.